How Does this Program Support Our Mission?
RH’s Keeping It Green Hawai‘i (KIGH) Award recognizes community organizations, businesses and agencies in Hawai‘i that demonstrate green practices, projects, education and/or services that foster resource awareness, sustainability and resilience in relation to recycling and waste reduction from at least three designated interest areas.
Who Is This Program Best Suited For?
Open to schools, businesses, agencies, community groups and other organizations in Hawai‘i.
When Is This Program Available?
Jan 1 – Nov 15: KIGH Nomination Applications submitted
Nov 16 – Dec 14: Applications reviewed and verified by RH
December 15-30: KIGH Awards announced
How Does This Program Work?
Step 1: Community organizations, businesses and agencies are nominated for a KIGH Award through an application process. To qualify, nominees demonstrate green practices, projects, education and/or services that foster resource awareness, sustainability and resilience in relation to recycling and waste reduction from at least three of the following areas:
• 3 R’s: reduce, reuse, recycle
• Zero waste systems, ZW events
• Gardening, composting, green/bio-waste, agriculture, forestry
• Ocean, water conservation
• Youth or community service, educational projects
• Native species, native habitat
• Sustainable industry, green building
• Energy, fuel, resource conservation or alternatives
• Open space “greenways”, beautification
• Climate change
• Indigenous gathering rights, cultural practices
Step 2: KIGH Nomination Applications are submitted by an individual in the community or a representative of the nominee. Applications are available and being accepted now.
Step 3: RH Committee verifies and reviews Nomination Applications to determine awardees.
Submit your KIGH Nomination Application to one of the following:
Email: educationdirector@RecycleHawaii.org or info@RecycleHawaii.org
Phone: (808) 985-8725 or (808) 969-2012
Mail: P.O. Box 4847, Hilo, HI 96720